Home Articles General Times to remember
Times to remember
Written by Frank Leslie Boswell   
Tuesday, 28 June 2011 16:52
Article Index
Times to remember
Page 02
Page 03
Page 04
All Pages


This article is split in four episodes with sub titles. This allows the selective readers to easily choose the sections that of an interest to them. The first episode will give the reader an idea where I come from and some of the memories I have from 1933 to 1953. The second episode covers the memories I have of my holidays in Northern Rhodesia from 1953 to 1955. Episode three starts with my immigration to Northern Rhodesia in 1956. It covers my employment with Sammy Sampson and the Federal Government with incidents that took place during that time until April 1958. It also includes some of my views on African culture and beliefs. The last episode from May 1958 to March 1967 covers my employment with Rhodesia Congo Border Power Corporation, which was later, renamed as “Copperbelt Power Company”. Apart from incidents that took place at C.P.C it highlights some of my social and sporting experiences. It also includes a few incidents that took place after Independence.

EPISODE ONE 1933 to 1953

Our stay in Johannesburg.

It was on the 22nd August 1933 in Turffontein Johannesburg that I was introduced to mother earth. Before leaving for Cape Town around 1937/38 we lived in 31A, Andrew Street Kenilworth Jo’burg. My childhood memories date back to this period. I can still hear the laughter and see my Mom and Aunt holding my hands while walking in the snow. I so badly wanted them to let me go so that I could roll in the snow. My sisters Cynthia and Rosalind were also born during this period.

Our move to Cape Town

Moving to Cape Town was a joint decision of both parents. Mom wanted to be close to her mother and Dad wanted to be close to the sea. From the beginning of 1927 to the end of 1930 he did his naval training in Simonstown on board of the H.M.S.A.S. Protea. It was more than likely the time he met my Mom. My father’s love for the sea was demonstrated at an early age of 12yrs with his tour of a boat in Durban harbour. His parents had difficulty in getting him off the boat. At the age of 14/15yrs he ran away from home and tried to enlist with the Navy in Durban. The Navy fortunately realized that he was not of age and he was taken to the police station where he spent the night in a cell. His father and their Methodist minister I believe spent sometime in convincing him that it would be to his benefit to complete his studies By 1926 with his studies complete he left Maritz Brothers College.

My parents bought a house at 86, Surrey Street Goodwood. On moving in I saw some boys about my age standing at the fence. I ran outside to meet them but in no time I was back in the house with tears running down my cheeks. My Mom was highly upset as I told her that I hated this place as the boys outside kept swearing at me. She went outside obviously to give them a good lecture but on her return she was having a good laugh. She then explained that the boys could not speak English and they were trying to communicate with me in Afrikaans.